Give your collaboration a kick
Enjoy free practice management tools
Manage your client work easily and efficiently with a host of Xero tools – and quickly reference the same data to save you time.
Leverage your Xero team
Work directly with your dedicated Xero team to review features, gauge the local business scene and help boost your business.
Work together across a shared ledger
Simplify the work, see results in real time and strengthen your client partnerships over a single source of data.
Focus on advisory services
Automate key tasks and reduce manual data entry. Now you can better focus on your practice with value-added, advisory services.
QuickBooks Online vs. QuickBooks Desktop
|QuickBooks Online||QuickBooks Desktop|
|No installation||Installs on computer|
|Requires internet connection||No need for internet connection|
|Access from any device||Can only use from 1 device|
|Monthly fee||One-time fee|
|Get started with QuickBooks Online||Get started with QuickBooks Desktop|
Now, let’s explore these differences to help you determine which product will work best for your small business.
When to Consider QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online is your ideal solution if you are a service-based business that does not need inventory tracking options or does not have complicated invoicing requirements. QuickBooks Online is also the best option for companies that want access from multiple devices and have more than one person who needs access or those that desire automatic updates from the cloud.
You should ultimately consider QuickBooks Online if you want the following:
- Ability to give your accountant or other users access from any location: QuickBooks Online allows you to set up a user ID and password for each person who needs to access your data from wherever they are located.
- Ability to enter transactions using a mobile device, PC or Mac: QuickBooks Online does not require software installation. Therefore, you can open up a web browser from your mobile device, PC or Mac and log right into your account to quickly access your data.
- Automatic, real-time updates: As you make changes to your data, QuickBooks Online updates automatically. Whether there is one person in the QuickBooks file or multiple users, changes are updated in real-time.
If you could benefit from giving other users access to your data, the ability to access your data from any mobile device with real-time updates, then you should sign up for QuickBooks Online and take advantage of up to a 50 percent discount.
When to Consider QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks Desktop is generally the best solution if you are a product-based business that has complicated inventory tracking needs or you fall into one of the five industries that QuickBooks Premier comes in. The industry-specific desktop versions include customized QuickBooks chart of accounts lists and products and services lists for contractors, manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers and more. Keep in mind that the desktop version can only be accessed from one device.
You should ultimately consider QuickBooks Desktop if you want the following:
- Multiple inventory tracking options: QuickBooks Desktop offers two options for tracking inventory — the average cost method or the First In First Out (FIFO) method, which is available when you purchase the Advanced Inventory add-on module. QuickBooks Online only allows inventory tracking using the FIFO method.
- Batch invoicing: QuickBooks Desktop has batch invoicing capability. When the amount and type of service you are billing multiple clients are the same, this feature allows you to invoice them all at the same time.
- Industry-specific versions: QuickBooks Desktop offers industry-specific features for businesses that fall into one of the following industries: General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Professional Services, Retail and Nonprofit. QuickBooks Online does not offer industry-specific features.
If you have complicated inventory needs or you provide professional services or are a contractor, manufacturer, retailer or nonprofit organization, then you should go with QuickBooks Desktop. Sign up for QuickBooks Desktop to take advantage of special promotions offered only to FitSmallBusiness readers.
Customer Service Outsourcing Options
One-on-One Executive Mentoring
Accounting and Finance Services
Marketing and Advertising Outsourcing
Business Plan Preparation